Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Bloody Urates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Bloody Urates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marinab

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Bloody Urates

Hello

Hope someone can help. I am breed kakarikis and hand raise a few as pets. I am currently raising a chick aged exactly 5 weeks. All going normally. Good appetite, has always been on small side but weight slowly increasing, 76g this morning. Bright eyed, picture of health, eager for food, but just passed unhealthy looking dropping.

Fecal part looks normal. Rest of dropping comprised either urine or liquid urates. Suspect the former, but if that is the case there were no urates. This comprised normal looking feces surrounded by red tinged fluid. Checked bottom of cage which is covered with white paper towel - no sign of any other similar droppings or stains. Bird ate normally, looks fine. Over last couple of days has been nibbling on millet spray but playing with it, so basically this bird is only having Passwell hand rearing food, exactly as normal. Nestmates are all fine (outside aviary), no health problems anywhere.

Five hours drive from any vet with an interest in avian health, local vets are utterly useless. I have a reasonably good avian medicine chest but can anyone please advise as I've never had this situation before.

Many thanks in advance.
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject:

Hi,

I have emailed Peter Wouters the link to this thread, hopefully he can take a look over the weekend. If possible post a pic of the feces/urates, so he may be able to give you a reply.

And yes, non-specialized vets are useless for birds, but for instance I came across a few that were extremely helpful providing me with ivermectin and sulfadiazine.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Peter
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject:

Red colored stools are usually caused by blood. Because it is red it means it comes from the rear section of the intestines. Sometimes it comes from the front section and looks like tar. Possible causes: injuries, bacterial infection, parasites, intoxication (heavy metals).

Regards
Peter
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Some thing that is often over looked is that 'nature ' occasionally 'creates ' a defective off spring....
General nature looks after this with a short life expectancy or predators...often both of these are circumnavigated in the captive situation.

If one has issues on a consistent basis , then worry, but the occasional defective bird, be it a deformed wing or deformed internals.. simply do what nature does, cull it. Not culling has in the past created genetic lines within our pets such as weak back legs in some breeds of dog, heart issues and kidney issues.
If in doubt cull the bird.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: