Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
The National Wildlife Centre

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Hiccups
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Hiccups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niamhf

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Hiccups

Hi Everyone,

It's 10.30pm here and my Kakiriki (who was in bed in the next room) started making hiccuping noises. As tomorrow is Sunday I won't be able to speak to my avian vet until Monday and was hoping to get some advice from here in the meantime.

To fill you in I also have a pet budgie whom I house separately but they do interact however my budgie has been quite ill over the past 3 weeks and has been in and out of hospital (clear diagnosis yet to be determined but so far treating for liver disease (NOT caused by diet - both birds are on proper diets so that has already been ruled out) and a bad sinus/nasal infection. Waiting on culture results to determine autoimmune/viral or fungal cause.

They have had minimal interaction since he has been sick and the kakiriki has had a prophylactic course of antibiotics. I'm worried about the noises I heard tonight though. It lasted about 3 minutes total with a break in between when i went in and checked on him - he stopped at this point and remained on his perch as though I had just woken him. Then I turned off the light again and stood outside and it started again but all over within minutes.

Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you.
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:59 am    Post subject:

No not hicups.. but similar a sort of a sneezing cough....
Generally worms in the crop that normal dozing will not kill off.
Requires direct injection into the crop of the right drugs.
If not dealt with it is usually fatal not long after the bird finally becomes lethargic.

In the mean time I would suggest using apple cider vinegar in the veggies part of the diet and mist spray down the environment(s) and birds with 50/50 soln vinegar and water

This should be done as regular 'maintenance' stuff anyway

Using the "quick search" block on the left will give more details.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Thank you Steptoe
I will try this. He's pretty active still and I haven't heard the sound since so hopefully he will be okay until tomorrow anyway.

Thanks again
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject:

Birds have a habit of appearing to be quite ok, active etc, even thu can be rather badly... then they reach a stage where they simply go real lethargic and go down hill very quickly.
I think this may have something to do with survival ... birds tend to be very prone to predators at the best of times, so if show a little under the weather, they are a surefire 'target' even thu it maybe only temporary.

So they so nothing outwardly till its nearly too late.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Vets Corner All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: