Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

The National Wildlife Centre
Parrot Society of New Zealand
MOTUIHE PROJECT
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - babies in the nest
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

babies in the nest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: babies in the nest

hi guys how is everyone ive posted a few things and had no reply bit worried about you all. GUESS WHAT SHES HAD 4 BABIES AND IM REALLY CHUFFED 4 hatched out of the 9 and weve named them all SPIKE, MILLY,BUCKWEET,AND SPANKY they are getting big now just starting to open there eyes but im a bit unsure about the nest am i supposed to clean it out because its a bit dirty and should i keep picking them up to make them tamer when growing upalso how much do hand reared kikes sell for in GBP i told my girlfriend oooh yes we will sell them when there old enough but there so cute i want to keep them signlol signlol signlol Laughing Laughing Wink Wink
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Ive posted a few things and had no reply bit worried about you all

Just been quickly thru your posts..seems most have been answered.

Quote:
am i supposed to clean it out because its a bit dirty

No, when she has finished and birds are out of the nest.

Quote:
should i keep picking them up to make them tamer

I mentioned in a post that in our experience handling aviary breed parent raised Kakariki chicks, those that get minimal handing seem to be far tamer once weaned...unlike many parrots, kakariki have no aversion to man, even in the wild it takes very little to get them to come down.
Kakariki do not need hand raising to tame as pets
There are several detailed threads on this.

Quote:
how much do hand reared kikes sell for in GBP

I have know idea of prices outside NZ. I do know prices vary greatly and depend on mutations breeding.
It is a misconception that "there is easy money in Parrots"
Forget it..unless u have the land, the capital to build aviaries, capital to replace and vary blood lines, time to prepare regular good feeding, cleaning, maintenance, daily and weekly. Prepared for sudden expensive loses, and vet fees, DNA/dease testing costs.
We are simple hobbyists, have a 1600 sq m section, at the moment 3 aviaries (10 flights) built ourselves about $3500 to 4000 NZ plus equipment, spend about 3 hrs a week cleaning, feeding/checking 2x times a day,(3/4 hr), preparing fresh fruit veggies every 2 days (about 1 hr)
Our returns would not cover costs let alone recover capital costs or make a profit. It is no more than a rewarding hobby, and great sense of achievement, along side our others like gardens, roses, restoration of old cars, and hot rodding...some of these to entail large capital expense, lot of time and no profit.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject:

I have a friend that breeds kikes and takes them to a bird auction.

Males usually go for around £20 to £25

Females around £25 to £30.
Noemi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Price

Prices in shops in Spain in 2009 is about 120€ but kakariki babies 50-70€ from private person.

In other countries?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject:

120 Euro is about $NZ 265

There is a currency converter to the left under the clock

In NZ it is illegal to sell native species....but the general rule of thumb about $NZ 40

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: WoW

Is very cheap!!!!!!!
Stumbler
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject:

Good to hear of your success with the chicks Beaker. Well done.
Don't worry how messy the nestbox is, as Steps says wait till they have left. Applause

Here in NZ Kakariki aren't worth much and I have probably given away over 100 birds, occassionally ask for $20 gas money if there's a big drive involved to get them somewhere.
Often just grateful to find a home for them as legally we have to "dispose" of them if they can't be placed anywhere.

I've found the best hobbies are those that don't "pay" and the rewards are often gained from overcoming the trials and tribulations of accomplishing something regardless of costs, time, sad losses etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: