Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Parrot Society of New Zealand
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - taming tips?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

taming tips?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quon
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: taming tips?

Well ive had my bird for a bit over a month (the female one) and well i dont know if its a good time to start to tame her?

I think she is rather used to me cause she tends to do that laugh sound in the morning until i wake up like saying HEY WAKE UP!!! i wanna talk...or something

But today i decided to take measures i nmy own hands and i put on a glove and after a bit of resistance managed to grab hold of her ( she started biting the glove of course) and i slowly caressed her head while talking to her. I did it for about 10-20 secondscause i noticed she had her tounge out so she had to be exhausted from all the running away

Now currently having my roomdoor closed and the cagedoor open to see if she wants to explore a bit more of the outside world

But anyhow i would like some taing tips since i know sh is a loving bird and very cute.

About right now she is sleeping on the bar next to the cage door. Poor thing is exhausted *feels guilty in away*
Orange
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject:

Hi Quon,

Steptoe has written a great post about taming...I think its in the pets corner bit or maybe the general care bit..its a sticky and you will find it if you put "taming" into the search box.

As you probably know if you have read my threads I dont yet have a Kak but I have done LOADS of reading up and from what I have read (inc Steptoes bit) you shouldnt grab them, you should always let them come to you.
And just a note as a qualified vet nurse I can tell you that birds don't generally pant when worn out like a dog, they only breathe with their tongue sticking out when they are very stressed! Somebody how knows kaks may well tell us otherwise but all other birds that I am aware of don't do it. So probably best not to grab her again. I will leave the finer points and tips of training to the experts!!

Dawn : )

Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:

the taming bit is in the pets corner , I just looked it up : )
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject:

hi quon

if you have had your bird for a month now she should have accepted you and show no signs of fear, if this is the case the next step is to get her used to your hand entering the cage, take this step very slowly making no sudden movements and talk to her using a soft tone of voice, as you do so offer her a favorate treat/food but be patient and let the bird come to you to take the treat, bear in mind if shes hungry she is more likely to take the treat and she may let you stroke her as she investigates to see what your hand is, it may take a couple of attempts b4 she has gained enough confidence to approch you, remain patient and eventually you should have success

DO NOT GRAB

it is common to wrap a nervous bird up in a towel to calm it down however, it is always better to win trust without forceful methods if you pick a bird up by its body it will lead to you being bitten as the bird will feel thretend, in the wild a bird would think he was about to be eaten if grabbed in this way

i hope this helps

sarah
Quon
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject:

dont think she is comfortable with me yet since if she is lcose and i slowly put my finger between the bars she quickly backs off

The time i grabbed her was because she was limping a bit of some sort but it seemed to be cramp and she was fine :) Forgot to mention that part to

I will try using some sallad as bait since she completly nuts about it. Doing that sound whenever given sallad like she would be saying OMG SALLAD YAY!! :P

She is so adorably cute im going to take a picture of her someday for you guys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Aviaries, Flights and Cages All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: