Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Behavior issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Behavior issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Behavior issues

Hi, I have male who has developed a strong connection with my shower rose because he can see himself in it, and he spends most of his out time sitting on it and doing what birds do when they mate.
Thats not the problem though, he has started attacking me when I give him food/water or even look at him and he really is getting quite vicious, as he goes for my face and I am terrified of him. Please give me some advice on what I can do other than give him away because I have young grandchildren that visit often and heaven forbid he harms them.....I love him and he has been really good in the past its only since he discovered this shower rose....I can hear myself so I am thinking maybe keep him out of the bathroom...but he does it in the kettle too or anything were he can seem himself.....he really has turned nasty.

Cheers,
Isabella
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject:

His hormones are flowing.
Most single birds 'pair' with their owners, espec if of the oppisite sex.
Quote:
as he goes for my face and I am terrified of him.

And that last state says to me that u have lost the statis of the 'alpha male' and he knows he is it now.

Quote:
I have young grandchildren that visit often and heaven forbid he harms them

Going to be blunt here
Its a kakariki ..not a great bald eagle that could rip an adault apart.
At worst he would give them a nip...childen get far worse with a mild jam the finger in the door.
If they get a nip, then it an opportubty to teach them respect for animals.

Get in his face, shake you finger at him and give him a right telling off in a low voice....enough to set him back on his hunches....

We are meant to be the alpha males in our homes, doesnt make any difference if its a cat, dog, our children or the grand children....loose that and we no longer run that household or make desisions about that household that will happen.
Or put another way..we become the pet in our own home...and no respect given.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject:

Robo,

Steptoe is right.
Your kakariki has come to expect, anticipate and maybe even enjoy the reaction he gets from biting. He is THE boss.
You have to find a way to break his pattern.
Easier said than done, I know...

first off all.. you have to look at your own behaviour as well as the behaviour of the bird.

Next time, before you go near him.. take a deep breath.. relax.. and don't start till you feel confident and balanced.
He senses your fear... now show him selfconfidence, patience and love.

Start all over again with taming him down.
No getting out of his cage until he steps up again and eats from your hand.
Put on gloves for a week. Helps ignoring his bites. Even when he manages to penetrate the glove ( and he will give it his best shot) give NO reaction.
If that is too hard and you can't help yourself, then say something short in a strict low voice like: BEAK.. or DON'T.
He is probably used to drawn-out paragraphs like "Owwww" or "Nooooo".

And believe it or not.. they can read facial expressions.. so look strict.. frown your eyebrows. But don't pull back, scream or react in a high voice.
Surprise him with a different reaction to his behaviour.

It's your fear, reactions and the sounds you made till now that made him feel the alpha.

Do some internet research on bird body language.. this can help you to pick the right time for re training him.
Get rid of the shower rose and try avoid shiny objects within his reach as much as possible the next few weeks.

I take it he is in a cage? Put his cage as low as possible. On the floor if necessary. The one sitting on the highest perch holds the cards.
Try to avoid him sitting on your head or shoulders. Keep him as low as possible.. even when he is out of the cage.
Always hold treats and goodies on your lap or hip hight.

With patience and perseverance it can be done.. and you are both worth the effort!

And Robo.. love him for what he is.. not for what you want him to be. Show respect without losing control. A loving, caring, respectfull boss is still a boss.. the best :)

I'ts not a fight, it's just about regaining trust.
from both sides.

Good luck, I am sure you can do it!
Keep us posted and we will try help you as much as we can.

:)

Geertje
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject:

I have a picture in my mind..a common occurance
We have a King parrot, Bob...he has spent 3 hrs of the last 5 yrs locked in his cage,,a house parrot.

We have him standing on the top of his cage, my wife not far way, threatening him in no uncertain terms, to chop his head off slowly, pull out his nailes and poke his eyes out cause he has done something he knows he shouldnt.
And inbetween her pusses, Bob does exactlt the same thing in king parrot language.. even stomping his feet...and this goes back and forth. I would really like to know what he threatens my wife with... Wink

10 mins later my wife will be preparing dinner, and Bob will fly over sit on her shoulder and wait for a couple moesels...play with her hair, may even nibble a little hard on her ear....which he gets a growl and stops.

Just cause one lays down the law with a pet or child, doesnt mean they will reject you...just means they will go away, maybe sulk for a while.
So do not go into this afraid you will distance him (that is the problem and he knows it)

When on watches a flock of kakariki ...well most parrots, this is a common behavour when one over steps the mark...believe me, they can get into huge vocal argumens about stuff.

Quote:
Next time, before you go near him.. take a deep breath.. relax.. and don't start till you feel confident and balanced.
He senses your fear... now show him selfconfidence, patience and love.

Yep but a little to PC correct for me....hes P155ed u off.. let him know in no uncetain terms..."patience love" can go out the window for the moment.... Whistle

And have fun doing it to....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Thank you

Dear Steptoe and Gee

I wish to thank all those that have given me feedback on my hormonal Kakariki...he is worth it because he is such a clown and I have already taped up the shower rose and taken away anything he might want to replace it with...I have been talking to him softy and slowly this morning while his cage was on the floor so I will keep doing this until he shows just a bit of remorse...LOL

Once again thanks to you all,

Cheers,
Bella <v>
bruce
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:15 am    Post subject:

get rid of the mirrors they are bad for single birds . only we and apes can tell the difference between a reflection its called self awareness .. hell we cant tell until we are about 2 year old. now everytime your kak looks in a mirror he see's another bird which he cant get to and wont respond to him ... ive heard of this sending bugies quite beserk and unwell mentally. hope this helps!
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
ive heard of this sending bugies quite beserk and unwell mentally.

With due respect, I have a big problem with statements like that.
So often in these forums, I have found stuff from chocolate to avocado a myth ....simply seeing for my self...
Same applies to roses....
I also collect old rose books...one can actually trace in the credits old wives tales wher people accept without question an un reseached asumption simply because the orginator and those inbetyween are assumed to be experianced , have a few Phds, and a high profile name.
The same can be applied to kakariki, and with more difficulty to trace, parrots in general.
Next time u go thru your libary or in the book store, pick up a pattot book...flick thru...then ask yourself, did the author actually keep, let alone keep every species and experianced in eack of those species?
Or has the auther assumed the information they have sourced is correct, and has it been physically varified?

Call me a cynic if you like...but there are far too many irreguaties I have come across in many feilds...from servicing a Bradford steering box to LPG causing valve ressencion in cars to kakariki.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject:

hi steps ...
yes i kno there are alot of old wives tales out there but i choose which ones i believe and dont believe .... but just becouse its an old tale passed down doesn't mean its a lie ... now chocolate is poisonous to even us never mind birds but we would need 12 pounds if i remember right to be a leathal dose .... and the same goes with different doses for different animals ...its not the chocolate which is poisonous its the dose... and bugies are all over everybody had one at one point .. i grew up with my family and others around us breeding them in their thousands so im taking my info from 1 a good source and secondly it makes sense to me importantly .... put yourself in a room with a two way mirror .. you can see the other guy but he cant see you ... now stay in that room for the rest of your life with no-one but this dude who will never respond to you... see how long you would last before you went cuckoo... alexander selkirk spent 6 years alone on an island and when he got rescued he had to live in a cave as he couldnt be round people.. unless some evidence appears proving otherwise then this theory has got me bought call me thickle i kno signlol. you only have to look at the attention a bird gives mirrors and the way it acts towards one to tell its not right.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject:

i forgot to say that the guy in the other room who cant see you wouldnt have a problem as he doesnt have the carrot dangled infront of him. what he doesnt kno doesnt hurt him hes just on his own ... poor guy. have away with the mirrors it cant hurt but you never kno it could help.
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Like chocalate or even common table salt or apple or pear seeds..its the dose as you say, and for a bird or person to eat enough it redulious...unless something really abnormal happened//like that is the only thing they have to eat over a reasonablwe period
Die of dehydration or arsinec poisoning or what ever

Yeah I did and can certainly see where a human or bird would go barmy with just a mirror under ...again exteme cercumstances....
Hey on the weekend having fun with one of the young grandsons...asking him to see the back of his head in the mirror signlol.

The thing is it is so rare for these extreme circustance to be created, even mirrors, we can pretty well right them off with apple seed ...
Our house parrots are often at the kettle, or sandwich maker, or toaster, stainless oven or ewven the window with the light on inside and dark outside....and they have a stainless mirror to play with...oh and the polished brass bell...
Crickey thats a lot Shocked but they still seem quite normal Whistle

But we still have so called 'experianced experts' spouting off BS about apple seeds avocado etc....yet never experimented to find out.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:16 am    Post subject:

likewise steps the two i got this week love the kettle but these are kaka with other birds as companions .... two birds and a mirror alot less of a problem yet it still grabs their interest .... but a single bird on its own???? better be safe than sorry or get a companion for your fella it would give him something else rather than his reflection to play with signlol its one of those situations where people think becouse we are the inteligent ones were the only ones who get depressed , sad or lonely but it happens to animals too ... when my grandparents passed the dog died two weeks later for no reason... it wouldn't eat drink nothing he just gave in and ive heard this happen many times but yet ive seen dogs do the exact opposite ... we got a jack russsel off an old couple who'd passed when i was young and i think i gave that dog a new lease of life he was a different dog within 2 month.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Public Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: