Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

Parrot Society of New Zealand
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
The National Wildlife Centre
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - ILL six week old Kak
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

ILL six week old Kak
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickvan
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:10 am    Post subject: ILL six week old Kak

Could anyone advise me I have 2 six week old chicks still in the nest box one of the chicks is fine she can come out of the box and walk around and attempt to fly The second chick cant get out of the box if you take her out she flaps her wings constantly but the wings are forward of her shoulders. If you place her on the floor she can not walk and her back seems to be arched.Is she a late developer or is she deformed and needs to be destroyed. Sad
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:04 am    Post subject:

it doesnt sound good to me Sad are the legs ok? or splayed out to the side? this could stop it from standing.... you can fix it in young chicks but it might be too late now if it is that.

http://littlebirdhouse4mysoul.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/OscarGarland
mickvan
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:58 am    Post subject:

The legs are dragging backwards. They dont seem very strong at all. Sad
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately up have a couple defective birds....a subject not often spoken about..... reputable breeders cull these birds out just as nature does.
Causes
1/ incoorect handling of chicks
2/poor diet, including the months before breeding season
3/Bad/defective blood lines, where a reputable breeder then culls the whole blood line back several generations.
4/Having a single nesting box and the female becomes terroritial to lay for the 2nd time.

Quote:
needs to be destroyed.

Not much spolen about that either....
The most important thing if having to do so is the animal is not stressed ouit, and it is done quick and NO screw ups...period
So dont put the bird in a box the did a hole , then euthenas with a poor quailty or blunt sissors....thats stress etc.
Dig the hole, get a pair of quailty tight firting meduim sized sharp sissors
take the birds in hand, slip the neck deep into the sissors wide open, and peceed with a confident and postive motion....no 1/2 heated attempt...do it once and do it right....this is about the bird not you or your emotions or allowing them to have the bird suffer.
Once cut, do not let the bird go...hold against the ground firmly.

I take no pleasure in having to type that....but I take no pleasure in the suffering of an animal either.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject:

mickvan wrote:
The legs are dragging backwards. They dont seem very strong at all. Sad

That sounds like it might be something a lot worse than a splayed leg prob Crying or Very sad splayed legs are more out to the side and can occur from the hen sitting too tight on the chicks one of my first chicks had it a bit also contributed to by the larger chick leaning on her a lot but i sorted it out by making her some sponge pants that held her legs together for a few weeks no probs since... your problem sounds like it could be spine damage or something....

I know Steps advice sounds harsh...... but ....its no frills honest advice... which is what you need. You could get an avian vet to take a look but it will cost you! Did this happen all of a sudden or has it always been like it?

Hope you get this sorted one way or another.

pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject:

from what you say that chick is challenged

you can either follow Steps advice or allow the bird to struggle, and either eventually die, or have a painful life
I tend to be a bit of a coward/pussy and not cull certain birds which I think I should. After you have 2-3 birds that have a shitty life because they are challenged, and you see them everyday, your mentality starts to change.

It's like people keeping blind dogs and cats alive and that sort of things.

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject:

I do not believe it is about if one 'has the strength' or 'im to soft' or whatever...its about one facing up to the responsiblity of owning /breeding animals, at the end of the day ACTAUALLY Really Care about them...
Not being or kidding oneself one actually cares just because one feeds them cleans their cage etc..
It is a complete package of responsabity, not just choosing those respomsabities that siuts one and ignoring or making excuses for the others.
Love or careing is not conditional on rules that just suit ones self.

Get your head around that, and yes one can do the bad parts.
BUT it NEVER becomes easy or or gets close to just OK...I would worry if it does.
One can always pass the buck, and take the risk it is dont properly, or simply KNOW it is done properly fior the sake of the animals.

These are serious lessons my Grandfather drummed into me at about the age of 9 or 10...when he got me to put down an old Ewe out in the paddock that had become cast (wet fleece cant stand and fly blown) and had the uterus fall out during lambing.
His words ring my ears just before cutting the throught " you do it once you do it right, one chance so this animal sufferes no more than it should.
And I did...
I hope this helps some.

Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:35 am    Post subject: re ill chick

Thanks for all your advise today i decided to take the chick out of the nest box and place her on the aivery floor to see if she developed strength in her legs. After 3 hours of the bird shuffling her body along the floor I picked her up to examine her then laced her back on the floor I went into the house to tell m wife that tomorrow I would do the humain thing. Two mins later I went back into the the aivery to find the poor thing had died of an heart attack saving me the task I did not want to perform.

My concern now was the chick deformed due to its father. Reason being the fathers lower beak comes over the top of its top beak. Is this deformed and should I destroy this healthy bird or just prevent it from breeding.
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: re ill chick

Well problem solved... but if this is a birth defect rather than an accident/injury...then check out and keep an eye on the sibling too

mickvan wrote:
My concern now was the chick deformed due to its father. Reason being the fathers lower beak comes over the top of its top beak. Is this deformed and should I destroy this healthy bird or just prevent it from breeding.

Well thats not right at all.... and if that is a deformaty rather than accident damage (broken mandible) i would not breed from him.

are your birds ringed.... as you may be able to trace the breeder and find out a bit more about your birds history. If you want to breed it is really important for the survival of the kakariki species to start with strong anatomically correct birds.

mickvan
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject:

Hi may the mother is ringed but the father was bought as a pair from a private sale when he was bought we were told he was a she But before long we found out he was an he. The male bird who came with him has bred with the mothers daughter and produced a beautifull healthy chick who is now 8 weeks old.
Mother and daughter laid a clutch of 6 eggs each with in a week of each other of which only 3 hatched of which one died today.
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject:

So can you contact the person you bought the "pair" of males from did they breed them? Id advise not to try breed from him again.... but ....ive not seen the bird in question..... id deffinatley keep a close eye on the development of the remaining chicks tho.

good luck and sorry you'v had such bad luck Sad

Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Things like lower beak are often something has happened in the egg, not rolled over often enogh or during hatching..along those lines rather genetic
If u can m8 up to a good hen, then see what results from that over a couple batches.
Personally I would not rely on what previous breeders where the birds cone from....If they have defects in their lines , they will know it for sure, they havnt culled back, and selling on...do u really think what they have to say would be reliable?

Ad a thought....in NZ there are not too many breeders, a handful, and several of us swap stock to maintain good stock....each of us on our own dont have the huge facities (and mine are not modest) to maintain lines
Part of this communty here was sort of intended to put ppl together, beyond simply advise.

Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject:

Steptoe wrote:

Personally I would not rely on what previous breeders where the birds cone from....If they have defects in their lines , they will know it for sure, they havnt culled back, and selling on...do u really think what they have to say would be reliable?

doh......of course.... im far too trusting Anxious

mickvan
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject:

I will try to post some recent photo of the birds on here later on in the week. Thats if I can keep the birds looking clean. Its blackberry season over here in England at the moment and the Kaks love them albeit they look like they have been in bloody battle after they have ate them. Laughing
May
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject:

mickvan wrote:
I will try to post some recent photo of the birds on here later on in the week. Thats if I can keep the birds looking clean. Its blackberry season over here in England at the moment and the Kaks love them albeit they look like they have been in bloody battle after they have ate them. Laughing

Laughing ...yeah mine love blackberrys too.....!!!!! even my new (in june) male will eat them while i hold them for him..... so september = bribe month Wink

would like to see some pics :)

do you have Blackberrys in NZ ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: