Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

MOTUIHE PROJECT
The National Wildlife Centre
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
New Zealand Conservation Management Group
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - New Ringneck Parrot Owner
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

New Ringneck Parrot Owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RingneckFan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: New Ringneck Parrot Owner

Hi All

I am a new ring neck parrot owner to a pair of lutino birds about 2 years old. Pretty new to parrots so been having a steady learning curve over last month or so having been given some good initial information form the previous owner.

Both are aviary birds and i have built a nice new home for them and been slowly makings final modifications to suit them.

I am looking for other owners to get information from and for general discussion. Information from other NZ owners would be great but i am open to all. Its been difficult to find a forum for discssion so i hope this site will forgive me!

I am still to get some Ring neck specific books but have got several general knowledge books so far and open to recommendations

I look forward to further discussion?
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject:

I have no experiance in Ring necks
Kings crimsons, burkes a little more...
Kakariki a lot
We apply the diets, and other kakariki practices discussed here to our other species as well....simply because with around 15 non kakariki (out of breeding season) and 35 to 50 odd kakarki it is easier.
In saying that, when other non kakariki breeders visit our avaiaries, they comment rather strongly on how big , colourful and good looking the kings are...
Based on that..I would assume if you did the same for your ring necks, you would get the same results.

I believe the way to go about keeping parrots is the intail attitude of the keeper...
Treat them as living, inteligent individuals, not a machine or orniment...like give them far more credit than you think they should have...observe and interact with them on their terms, not yours or your needs...Think from their perspective, not yours.
Depending on the species, keep in mind you are dealing with something of the integence between a 2 yr old and 7 yr old child

Maybe there are other members here with more experiance in ring necks that can help out. thumb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Hi Thanks for your info, i will read further into the site and forums and look at what i can adopt for my ringnecks. -regards warrick
zigzag
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject:

g,day

steptoe has hit the nail on the head. i have breed ring necks before and they will eat twice as much vegetable mater than seed same as a kakkariki. if you followed the kakariki diet you would have healthy big birds.

zigzag
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
steptoe has hit the nail on the head.

Thats a lucky shot these days...my eye sight has got bad over the last 6 weeks emb ....
should have got glasses about 20 yrs ago Shocked
Or they make the heads of nails smaller now...???
Do nails still have heads??

lmao lmao lmao

If in NZ fejoas are dropping of the tress now...the iron (as with apples) realy brings the greens out

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject:

yes ring necks love there greens fruit veg ther not fussy love them all i used to have ring necks but eventuly gave them up but my mother still has them there are some relly good websites on them an ont the differant mutations but steptoes diet for his birds would do them great

xtine

ps they love there penuts to as t treat i give them hole with shell on so they can crack in to them them selfs
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject:

Hi,

I used to keep them too, but I gave up because they need a lot of space and they are too afraid of people, and I prefered to keep more cockatiels and kikes.

All in all a great bird, hardy, and easy to keep. The only con I see is that they are too afraid of people so it's kinda difficult to enjoy their elegance beauty. Every mutation is beautiful.

Diet... I agree with the rest of the crew. Seed (a budgie/lovebird seed mix will do) and some fresh food, like veggies, sprouts, etc.. just like any other parakeet/parrot.
In Portugal breeders tend to give them racing pigeon sprouted seed in addition to fruits.

If you wanna learn about Psittacula Spp. :
http://home.wanadoo.nl/psittaculaworld/

You have like a zillion links in the links section to many breeders.

A great Portuguese ringneck breeder:
http://germanobirds.skyrock.com/

And another excellent aussie breeder:
http://karmic.irock.com.au/

I still love the species and would love to keep them again, but in other circumstances.

Good luck,

Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> General Non Kakariki Discussion All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: