Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society of New Zealand
The National Wildlife Centre
New Zealand Conservation Management Group

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Will solo parent work?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Will solo parent work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stumbler
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Will solo parent work?

I noticed my male Kakariki was looking a bit sad last night, though fine earlier in the day, anyhow he was on the ground this morning and died a few hours later; so fast, don't know what's going on?, such a nice bird and it's death has bummed me out. First thought is "what have I done wrong!?". This is the first adult(18 mth old) bird I have lost in over a year.

Now I have the hen all by herself sitting on eggs that are about to hatch anyday. Is she going to be able to do the whole thing by herself? or is it all bad news there?. She hasn't been out all day and I guess she's waiting to be called off and fed by her mate.....and that ain't going to happen!.
So what can I expect with this situation....assuming it's happened before for someone?. Stblr
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject:

We have had a similar situation, once, some yrs back...
They where experianced parents with a few batches under their belts...
The female carried on.
We did make extra effort to keep a well balanced diet and fresh food avalible at all times...
Beyond that I have no other advice other than cross your fingers

Hopefully someone else add add more..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject:

I have found the surviving parent will hatch and continue to care for the young for a week or two and then will become exhausted with the increasing demands of the growing young unless there is only one or two young then the chances are good they will continue to rear them.
Stumbler
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the replies, I did have some hope. She had only had one brood before, 5 perfect chicks that were still in the aviary when the male died, fortunately they had just reached independence, though probably missed the odd feed from him when he died.
However, just to update the situation, the eggs never hatched even though they were fertile, not sure why?, perhaps disturbance and change with the loss of the male in that last week of incubation, though she was sitting well, perhaps too well?; anyway, probably for the better in the end.

The 5 chicks have been moved to a way larger area. I put 3 other birds with her for company, I've removed the eggs but she still spends most of her time hiding in the nestbox?.

About a week after the adult males death, in another aviary(not alongside), a young bird went the same way....looked sick one day then dead the next.
Not at all used to this, took this one to the vet, just for a "quick" look, as opposed to a whole histology/pathology "sending bits away" autopsy.
The vet was very helpful and offered to show me how to check on a few of the major things; anyway he said the lungs were perfect, no other obvious looking problems with the major organs, no worms in the throat, gut etc; however there was clear indication of retained diarreah(tho the bird had a clean vent area, nor was there any obvious runny dropping in the aviary?).
So, I assume the other bird went the same way even though in an unrelated aviary/area. A bit baffling.

It looks like there is/was a bit of a bacterial thing going on.....hygene I guess. These birds get well looked after and are very happy...only these 2 deaths in 18 mths, always look good, and have even breed in -10 c!.

Being the somewhat messy feeders they are, food does get flung around/dropped etc, this can set things "off" bacteria wise on the ground.
I've now changed my whole feeding scene and am developing a new feeding tray system. Hopfully I can keep any excess food bits ending up on the ground to a minimum....with a few experimental construction attempts!.
Of coarse they are still going to spend plenty of time rummaging around feverishly on the ground nibbling on all sorts!.

Bacteria can be easily be picked up from wild birds. These aviary birds get lots of visitors to their aviaries, especially Robin, along with "wild" Kakarikis, extreme amounts of Tui and Bellbird, variety of Finches, even Kaka and nightly patrol of Morepork.
Maybe there is/was a bug going around within this diverse flock of regular and close-quarters visitors?. These visitors had/have closer contact to all the birds than the two that died... had to each other.

Sorry for the rambling update/thoughts!...probably crossed a few Forum titles!...it's a wet morning here!, and good typeing practice....apart from some spelling probably!.

Cheers
Stumbler
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: