Welcome to Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation!
Ask Questions, Find Answers and DiscussionsKakariki Member Pics, Mutation/Species IdentificationInformation on Permits, Research Papers etcLinks to Other Sites and InformationYour A/C Details, Messages

GT Modules
· Home
· Forums
· Email Webmaster
Email Webmaster for any problems with Registering, the site and General Enquires
·Link to Us, Details
Set to your default home page· Set Home page

QuickSearch
for key Words
Advanced Search
 Search  Words

NZ Conservation            Projects

DoC / NZ Conservation Sites

ZEALANDIA: The Karori Sanctuary Experience
New Zealand Brown Teal (Pateke)
Karori Wildlife Sanctuary Wellington, NZ
MOTUIHE PROJECT
Kiwi House and Native Bird Park

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Diet, Health, Aviaries and Conservation: Forums

Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation :: View topic - Please Help Me.. My male kakariki want kill me...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ    SearchSearch     Log inLog in/Register  

Please Help Me.. My male kakariki want kill me...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danielsmithi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Please Help Me.. My male kakariki want kill me...

Hy,
my name is Daniel. I'm italian.
2 month ago I've bought a female kakariki and after 1 month I've decided to take also the male. For 5 days it's all okay... but after... He wasn't more a kakariki but a lion... is extremely jealous of the female... I can't stay near to her... If i change water or food he want to bite me... I can't do nothing. every time he attacks me I give him a sunflower seed but don't change... If I walk near the aviary he looks at me and roar...
Someone can help me please?
Thanks to all. Bye bye!
Daniel
danielsmithi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject:

P.s. Sorry if my English is not perfect... Wink
Moko
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject:

Hello!
Sounds like he's just being protective of 'his' female....?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject:

Hello Moko,
also.. if I enter in the room he do the same sound. If i whistle also. I usually whistle to the female and she respond me..
I once tried to take female and go in another room, he was very agitated and flew from one side to an other of the cage... If I leave free them and I take female, male rests on my shoulder and control the situation... Male enter in the cage alone only when the female has already entered... the sound seems to be that of a crow..
bye
Daniel
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject:

Hi Daniel!

I think it's the 'normal' behavior of a dominant male kakariki. I have 6 males, some of them are very vocal, especially one of them, he has an attitude.
Even a few weeks ago someone visited me to buy some cockatiels and this particular male jumped twice towards him, I think he was trying to fight with the intruder.

Also watch your body language as animals read this naturally. If you are insecure and show fear when you change the water or whatever the bird will notice it. If you are firm soon he'll realize you are dominant.
THis is the same with dogs, etc...

Try the quick search block on the left column of the website for words like tame, taming etc...

Your English is fine, I'm able to understand the whole of your message so it's all right. For manyof us here English isn't our mother language, so don't worry.
There's a realy good atmosphere over here, w3c to the community!

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
456FANCLUB
Snr Member
Snr Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject:

Hi Daniel.
One thing you said was "when he attacks you you give him a sunflower seed". This is rewarding his bad behaviour. If a child is naughty you wouldn't give them sweets. I would only give him a "treat" when he's good. With mine when they are naughty i tell them No quiet firmly it did take time but i got there. Best of luck in taming/ calming your "lion kakie"
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject:

Watch 2 dominate kakariki..well most species, argue..the 1st thing they do is growl each other.....If any of our birds . cats do something they should not, they get a good growling.
If the persist, they get what they would withing their species, a push, flick of the finger hand, and growl at the same time.

Im the nominate male....yep they have me on sometimes, but a good growl is all thats needed.
My wife, they are sort of equal dominance, she marinally higher...growls are quite funny, they growl back and forth...my wife threating to cut off their winngs, slowly and feed back to them ..reduculous stuff like that.
Then they argue back....would like to know what they are threatening her with signlol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject:

Hi,
thanks to all for your help. I'll try to be dominant. I dare not imagine how many pecks receive but I'll do this! Laughing Laughing
For sound that he do.. my mother call him: carrion-crow ahah Wink
So, I will let you know how situation will be resolved.
Bye bye
Daniel
danielsmithi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject:

Hi,
I have a much bigger problem.. my male kakariki has caught many times the female... Now her is in another cage because also lost blood... I think that the blood has stopped. But the true problem is.. What I do now??? I can not put more than the female in the cage... or yes?
Sad Sad Sad
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:35 am    Post subject:

You may have what we call a rogue male....
This can be a genetic thing and/or mistreatment at an early age

Do a form search "quick search" block to the left

Also bleeding...bleeding not stopping is a sign of low Vitimin K in the diet.
There are several methods to stop bleeding....the best of all is silver nitate sticks......and others using podwer etc....again run a forum search

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Hi steptoe,
now I understand because seller gave me a discount.
I read some other post but... I understand that I have to leave them divided forever... Is very difficult to addomesticate this kakariki...Now that is alone, I feel sorry for him, but I can not do anything...
My female now eat and drink, so she is better, I'm happy at least for this... Thank you very much for your patience and sorry if I write and not search immediatly but for me and not my good English is better...
angel
bye bye
Daniel
pabloc
Foundation Member
Foundation Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject:

Daniel,

many of us here don't speak English very well, so it's ok, everybody here understands the situation.
We encourage people to search old posts because many times there's useful information and points of view posted years ago. Sometimes it's good to post a new reply on old threads, as it adds new meanings to old topics.

About discounts... I'm usually wary of 'cheap' or bargained birds, but I'm even more wary of petshops and wholesalers/importers/etc...
The best thing possible is to contact an honest, reliable breeder and buy from him directly.
But don't worry about it, we all 'have been there, got the t-shirt' etc... we made the same mistakes at one point or another.

I hope the situation with your male improves.

1 question however... how big is the cage?

Cheers / Pablo

http://kakariki2009.skyrock.com/
http://cyanoramphus.weebly.com/index.html
danielsmithi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Hi Pabloc,
the internal size cage is 84x75x43 External 163x78x46 . Now in this cage there is only male. For female I have to decide what to do... For now is in a more little cage...
Steptoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Like Pab says..dont worry about your english...its far better than you think it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:16 am    Post subject:

Hi!
I don't understand anything... This morning I free the male and and he climbed on my shoulder , very sweety Shocked
But when he enter in the room were there was female he was crazy... He want attack me and she like a crazy and did not stop... After I succeeded in blocking it by force... 30 minutes ago I free again but with the room of female closed... An angel... He played, sang and climbed on the shoulder...
Is possible? Do he hate famale?
bye
Daniel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kakariki, Care, Breeding, Ecology, and Conservation Forum Index -> Kakariki Breeding in Captivity All times are GMT + 13 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Copy Paste Text Here to Translate
Select Language and Translate

Jump to: